Saturday, February 7, 2009

Lost

We lost our daughter Selah today, at the mall, for what probably was five minutes, but felt like much much longer. Alex thought she was with me; I thought she was with him, but when it all was said and done, neither of us had her. While he retraced our steps, I tried not to panic and scream at the top of my lungs. I still had Eden and Grace with me, who were getting panicky that we could not find her.

I went out of the store I was in and backtracked. I could see Alex across the mall from me in front of Barnes and Noble who has one of those indoor play areas for toddlers. Directly in front of me was the concierge desk. I ran up to her, holding Damaris, pulling my stroller and the other two along with me, "I lost my daughter." She told me to go around the desk and give a description to the security officer.

As I rounded the corner, there she was! An observant mother saw her standing alone looking down the escalator (which thankfully was next to the security desk). As I came around the corner, I could see Selah's face. She had a look on her face that she often has when she is with unfamiliar people in an unfamiliar place. I called her name and she came over to me. I thanked the mother over and over and tried to explain what happened and how we got separated. I made eye contact with Alex, who was rounding the corner and he came right over to us. He must have run right past her, not thinking that she would be standing looking at the escalator.

God is so good!

Of course now, hours later, I am trying to sleep and I cannot. Tears running down my face that I lost my child for five minutes and how five minutes is a lifetime....and of course of all the awful things that may have happened.

God is so so good!

As I lay praying on my bed, I thought about the lost coin in the Bible. And how panicky the lady must have felt as her precious thing was lost and she could not find it. And how God must feel when we get lost from Him. But, how I rejoiced, how she rejoiced, how God rejoices when we return to Him; a precious daughter, coin, child...

God is great isn't he?

4 comments:

Hollie said...

Oh my goodness, this brought tears to my eyes. I can't even imagine how scary that must have been. It truly is a blessing that you were able to find her safe & sound.
I love your analogy of how this must be how God feels when his lost children come back to Him. God is good! How true that is. =)

...Harry Happenings... said...

You made me cry as well. I cannot imagine your panic yet having to keep it together for the other girls. Praise God in all circumstances and give the glory to Him! I am so happy you were able to correlate that new testament story to your life. Interesting how God's word applies to us each and every day and we can learn from it!

Team Harry said...

Praise God!!
Isn't it great that no matter what God is always with us & our children. Even when we move from him, He is still with us. I can relate in still feeling all the emotions and how they keep you awake at night!

Mommy said...

Yes....I know the feeling... I lost Ashley for more than 10-12 minutes.... she was all the way to Sears from the same play area....can you imagine??!!! I was a mess when I found her and started crying. Those 10-12 mins were a lifetime...I felt sick to my stomach and blood rushing through my body.... I did go down the hallways screaming for her...I am sure people thought I was nuts!!! It was truly AWFUL, but like you said: GOD IS GOOD!!!! I am so glad you found Selah :)